Permanent Residency:

Resettled refugees become permanent residents (PRs) the moment they sign their ‘Confirmation of Permanent Residence’ document at the airport. As Permanent Residents they:

  • Access the same social benefits and health care coverage as Canadian citizens.
  • Do not require a permit to study or work.
  • Are protected under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
  • Have responsibilities, including paying taxes and respecting all federal, provincial and municipal laws.

pr cardPermanent Resident (PR) Card Processing:

IRCC will automatically send each newcomer their PR Card in the mail after they arrive. There are often delays due to high volume, incorrect addresses, and problems with photographs.

  • Ensure IRCC has the newcomers’ correct address. Address changes can be made online: Choose "In Canada" and then just below "Step 3" click on the “Start” link in the grey box.
  • The first card is free and processing time is 2-3 months.
  • If you have waited more than 2-3 months and are concerned, contact your SAH.
  • IRCC may mail a letter requesting new photographs for PR cards.
  • If a PR card is not received within 180 days of arriving in Canada, a complete application, fee and photograph must be submitted to IRCC.
  • FYI: newcomers must apply for a new PR card every 5 years or until they become Canadian Citizens. There is a renewal fee.

Travelling as a Permanent Resident:

Canadian permanent residents with refugee status are entitled to a Travel Document, which can be used with a PR card to travel outside Canada. However, for resettled refugees, there are serious considerations related to travelling outside of Canada before attaining citizenship:

  • Re-entry to Canada is not guaranteed.
  • Use of a passport from a refugee’s country of nationality and returning to that country can be considered ‘reavailment’ and will jeopardize one’s permanent residency status.

Join Our Newsletter

New to the world of Refugee Sponsorship? Become informed. Join the conversation.