The Private Sponsorship of Refugees (PSR) Annual Dashboard is produced byThe report provides a snapshot of what was achieved in the program in the preceding year. Highlights from the 2019 edition are below.
From 1980 to 2019 inclusive, Canada has resettled 346,201 refugees through the PSR program.
In 2019, there was a 5.7% increase in the number of PSR applications received compared to 2018.
The overall approval rate for PSR applications in 2019 was 53%:
- 84% for SAHs;
- 29% for Groups of Five; and,
- 24% for Community Sponsors.
The 2019 the PSR landing target was exceeded by 107%, with 19,150 refugees arriving in Canada through the program.
Of the 19,150 refugees that arrived in Canada through the PSR program:
- 12,612 were sponsored by Sponsorship Agreement Holders (SAHs);
- 5,287 were sponsored by Groups of Five;
- 525 were sponsored by Community Sponsors; and,
- 726 were sponsored by groups in Quebec.
Refugees located in the Middle East accounted for 56.1% of the arrivals (10,749 persons in total).
The top 10 source countries for refugees sponsored and resettled to Canada through the PSR program in 2019 were:
- The Democratic Republic of the Congo