World Refugee Sunday is held annually - typically on the Sundays before and after June 20 (World Refugee Day) to:
- corporately remember the needs of refugees,
- to participate together in prayer for refugees & displaced people,
- to respond in practical ways to both ease the burden of those who have been displaced,
- to spread the word among our peers to get involved and
- be inspired to offer hospitality and hope to refugees.
Unfortunately, the numbers of displaced people & refugees are higher again this year. There are now more than 80 million women, children and men forcibly displaced in the world. Of these, more than 26.3 million have been recognized as refugees and another 4.2 million are asylum seekers.
There is so much room for God's children to step into the gap and "be a neighbour" to many who have been forced from their homes.
As much has Covid-19 has disrupted our lives these past 14 months, the impact on refugees has been even more significant:
- Some countries have very little capacity to respond,
- Refugees and asylum seekers experience financial hardship and food insecurity,
- There has been a rise in mental health issues,
- In many contexts, health access may be difficult,
- Refugees are more vulnerble to evictions and discrimination.
World Refugee Sunday: June 20 and 27, 2021
Ideas for something to mark the day when you gather together, whether that be in person or on-line:
- Include a focus on refugees during personal and congregational prayers. We can provide you with specific names of people who would welcome your prayers on their behalf.
- Read a scripture passage that has to do with God's heart for the stranger and the vulnerable such as Deut. 10:17-18, Lev. 19:33-34, Matt. 25:33-45 or Prov. 31:8-9 as a start.
- Provide an opportunity for people to give to a refugee cause in your area.
- Invite someone knowledgable about refugees to speak during an online meeting.
There are a number of resources and links available below that you are encouraged to share with everyone connected to your congregation. As we work together, change can happen for the vulnerable and the glory of God's great name can be magnified!
- World Renew has Refugee Sunday 2021 resources available now.
- Refugee Highway: scroll down the page for many resources